Getting a good start in kindergarten is much easier when children have a good transition. As your child’s best and most important teacher, the transition from home to school is one you should lead. If you have questions, call your local school or Ready for School and we can assist you. Here are a few important steps to take between January and the beginning of kindergarten (either in August or September depending upon your school) before your child starts:
- Attend kindergarten open houses and consider your school options: public school, charter school, dual language learning schools, private school
- Enroll early, enrollment information is below.
- Talk your children about going to kindergarten
- Ask to visit the school ahead of time
- Introduce them to all the kindergarten teachers and to the principal
- Walk around the school so that they become familiar to the physical set up
- Show where the bathrooms are, where the playground is, where the gym is